This year was the biggest ever for Roadkill Nights Powered by Dodge, drawing a crowd of more than 44k automotive performance enthusiasts to the M1 Concourse near Detroit, Michigan for a day of riveting eighth-mile drag racing action on a closed-off section of the famous Woodward Avenue. Now in its fourth year, Roadkill Nights has become an annual tradition, and a beloved lead up to the celebrated Woodward Dream Cruise.
Heavy rains washed out the last bit of drag racing action at this year’s event, but not before NHRA great Leah Pritchett was able to stun the crowd performing an exhibition run in her Top Fuel Dragster, and Matt Hagan in his Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat NHRA Funny Car. Pro wrestler Bill Goldberg won the celebrity showdown against the likes of Leah Pritchett, Richard Rawlings (Fast N’ Loud), and even Roadkill’s own David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan, bringing in $10k for his charity AHERO, which connects veterans with local community members through social activities and events.
And a total of 128 street-legal drag racing cars registered by ordinary showgoers competed for a total $30k cash purse, with two categories of competition: Small Tire, and Big Tire. As rain intervened and cut the racing short, $20k was split between 16 finalists – 8 in each class – while $5k apiece went to each of the quickest Dodge cars of the day: Peter Bokedon’s 1972 Dodge Dart (Small Tire) and James Pranis’ 1968 Dodge Charger (Big Tire).
“Roadkill Nights Powered by Dodge is an absolute larger-than-life event that represents what Dodge is all about: power, performance and excitement,” says FCA North America’s Head of Dodge//SRT, Steve Beahm. “Going beyond the need for speed, this event offers an incredible opportunity for pure enthusiasts to come together and share their passion for classic and performance car culture in a sanctioned environment.”
Big Tire Drag Racing Finalists:
- Gary Box (Ohio): 1965 Chevrolet Corvette
- Craig Groebner (Minnesota): 1971 Chevrolet Nova
- Leon Hudson (Virginia): 1965 Plymouth Barracuda
- Jimmer Kline (Michigan): 1966 Pontiac GTO
- Jim Kline III (Michigan): 1996 Chevrolet Arcadian
- Mike Mislivec (Michigan): 1982 Pontiac Trans AM
- Bryan Rosario (Michigan): 1972 Chevrolet Camaro
- Mark McGill (Michigan): 1978 Chevrolet Camaro
Small Tire Drag Racing Finalists:
- Peter Bokedon (Michigan): 1972 Dodge Dart
- William Gill (Michigan): 1966 Shelby Cobra
- Adam Hodson (Indiana): 1973 Chevrolet Camaro
- Kenny Laflower (Indiana): 1970 AMC Javelin
- John Lopez (Ohio): 1988 Ford Mustang
- Justin Spiniolas (Illinois): 1991 GMC Sonoma
- Carl Stancell (Michigan): 1984 Chevrolet s10 Blazer
- Rick Steinke (Pennsylvania): 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle