We can only hope this doesn’t come as a shock to you, but most experts agree: lighting off fireworks within an enclosed space is general a very, very bad idea. Just ask the owner of this Jeep Wrangler TJ in Maryland that burned to the ground earlier this month as a result of fireworks being discharged within the vehicle.
Like its more modern counterparts, Jeep Wranglers JK and JL, the Wrangler TJ was a rugged, well-constructed off-roader, but that means little in the presence of incendiary devices capable of burning at hundreds – even thousands – of degrees Fahrenheit. So, when fireworks were lit off within this TJ’s confines on or around Independence Day, whether done intentionally or no, the beloved American SUV had virtually no chance of surviving.
That’s especially true because, despite the fact that some two dozen people were present at the time of the incident in Poolesville, Maryland, apparently not one of them thought it prudent to call the fire department. Several of the people in attendance did attempt to extinguish the flames themselves, but clearly, their efforts were lacking.
ICYMI (6/4) Hunting Quarter Rd, Poolesville vehicle fire, no injuries, Investigators believe ~2 dozen people present at time, no one called FD, Damage >$5K, Cause discharged fireworks in vehicle, several of those in attendance attempted to extinguish, but to no avail @MarylandDNR pic.twitter.com/sPJPYn5Qsi
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) July 6, 2018
Thankfully, though, no one was reported hurt by the event.
Pete Piringer – the Chief Spokesperson for Montgomery County Maryland Fire & Rescue Service, who wrote the above tweet – sent out a follow-up tweet after the incident saying that charges are pending for those responsible for the fireworks that claimed the life of this Jeep Wrangler TJ. Montgomery County, which is where Poolesville is located, has banned all consumer fireworks.
(Hat tip: Autoblog)