Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is recalling certain units of the Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen, and Ram 3500 Chassis Cab over an issue with the vehicle’s front airbag inflator that could cause serious injury or death.
The defect: affected vehicles are equipped with a dual-stage driver frontal air bag that may be susceptible to moisture intrusion which, over time, could cause the inflator to rupture.
The hazards: in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver’s front airbag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants, resulting in serious injury or death.
- 2009 Dodge Durango manufactured January 17, 2007 to December 18, 2008
- 2009 Chrysler Aspen manufactured January 17, 2007 to December 18, 2008
- 2010 Ram 3500 cab chassis cab manufactured September 25, 2009 to February 1, 2010
The airbag modules of the affected vehicles were manufactured by Takata, whose faulty airbag inflators have resulted in millions of recalls across the industry.
Number of vehicles affected: 12,691 vehicles (United States figure).
The fix: FCA has notified owners, and dealers will replace the driver’s frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. The recall began January 11, 2017.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this FCA recall should visit recalls.mopar.com and enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners can also contact Fiat Chrysler customer service with questions by using the following information.
- FCA Customer Care: 1-800-853-1403
- FCA Recall Number: S92; this recall also covers vehicles that were accidentally excluded from recall 15V-313.
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V947000