Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is recalling the Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Jeep Grand Cherokee due to the vehicles not providing a good enough warning when the driver’s door is opened and the cars are not in Park.
The defect: affected vehicles, equipped with an eight-speed automatic transmission and a monostable gear selector, may not adequately warn the driver when driver’s door is opened and the vehicle is not in PARK, allowing them to exit the vehicle while the vehicle is still in gear.
The hazards: drivers thinking that their vehicle’s transmission is in the PARK position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged.
- 2012-2014 Dodge Charger manufactured February 15, 2011 to November 27, 2014
- Chrysler 300 manufactured February 15, 2011 to November 27, 2014
- 2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured July 16, 2012 to December 22, 2015
Number of vehicles affected: 811,586 units (United States figure).
The fix: FCA will notify owners, and dealers will update the vehicle software to mitigate the risk of vehicle rollaway, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Jeep Grand Cherokee recall should visit recalls.mopar.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners can also contact Fiat Chrysler customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Dodge Customer Service: 1-800-423-6343
- Chrysler Customer Service: 1-800-853-1403
- Jeep Customer Service: 1-877-426-5337
- Chrysler Recall Number: S27
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V240000