Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango crossovers over an issue with the front brakes.
The defect: in affected vehicles, the left front brake caliper may crack due to being made from an incorrect material.
The hazards: a cracked brake caliper may lengthen the distance needed to stop the vehicle and increase the risk of a crash.
- 2015-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee manufactured December 9, 2015 to January 14, 2016
- 2015-2016 Dodge Durango manufactured December 9, 2015 to January 14, 2016
Number of vehicles affected: 14,768 (United States figure).
The fix: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front left brake caliper. Depending on its casting date, dealers will replace it. The inspection and replacement will be performed free of charge.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango recall should visit recalls.mopar.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners can also contact Jeep customer service or Dodge customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Jeep Customer Service: 1-877-426-5337
- Dodge Customer Service: 1-800-423-6343
- Chrysler Recall Number: S16
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V168000