Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling 112,001 units of its Dodge Journey crossover along with the Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Grand Caravan vans over an issue with the airbag control units.
The defect: in affected vehicles, the air bag control units may corrode and fail.
The hazards: if the air bag control unit fails, the air bags may not deploy in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of occupant injury. Additionally, the air bags may inadvertently deploy, increasing the risk of a crash.
- 2009 Dodge Journey manufactured December 31, 2007 to August 31, 2008
- 2008-2009 Dodge Grand Caravan manufactured June 18, 2007 to August 31, 2008
- 2008-2009 Chrysler Town and Country manufactured June 18, 2007 to August 31, 2008
- 2009 Volkswagen Routan manufactured August 11, 2008 to August 31, 2008
To note, Chrysler built the Routan van for Volkswagen. The vehicle is a rebadged Chrysler Town & Country.
Number of vehicles affected: 112,001 (United States figure).
The fix: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag control unit, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Chrysler and Dodge recall should visit recalls.mopar.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners can also contact Chrysler customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chrysler Customer Service: 1-800-853-1403
- Dodge Customer Service: 1-800-423-6343
- Chrysler Recall Number: S07
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V047000