The Dodge Sprinter van is being recalled over potentially-defective airbags. The action is part of a wide-ranging recall by airbag supplier Takata, whose faulty airbags have affected various automakers and millions of vehicles.
The defect: upon deployment of the driver’s frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
The hazards: in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver’s frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
- 2007-2014 Dodge Sprinter 2500 and 3500
- 2007-2014 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 and 3500
- 2007-2014 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 2500 and 3500
All vehicles were manufactured July 1, 2006 to July 31, 2014
Number of vehicles affected: 136,361 (United States figure).
- Fiat Chrysler will notify the Dodge owners
- Daimler Vans will notify the Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner owners
The respective dealers will replace the driver frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Dodge Sprinter recall should visit recalls.mopar.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners can also contact Dodge customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Dodge Customer Service: 1-800-423-6343
- Daimler Vans Customer Service: 1-800-853-1403
- Daimler Vans Recall Number: not assigned
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V077000
Daimler Vans produced the Dodge Sprinter as well as the Freightliner Sprinter and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vehicles. Its parent company, Daimler AG, is also the parent firm of Mercedes-Benz, which owned and produced Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles as part of an acquisition years earlier. Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep were later acquired by Fiat to become Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, at which point the Dodge Sprinter was discontinued and subsequently replaced by Fiat’s Ram ProMaster.