Earlier this month, Fangio’s 1956 Ferrari 290 MM, widely considered to be one of the most important cars in Ferrari’s racing history, was sold at auction for $28 million. Now another car that’s extremely important to the Scuderia’s early days in racing will be sold off – and it’s thought to be even more valuable than the 290 MM.
This 1957 Ferrari 335 S Spider Scaglietti, chassis 0674, will find a new home at the Retromobile auction in Paris in early February. It has spent the majority of its life in the collection of Pierre Bardinon, who has assembled more than 50 Ferrari racecars over the course of his life, but it will part ways with its peers next year so long as someone steps forward with at least $30-34 million.
Chassis 0674 left Enzo Ferrari’s Maranello workshop in 1957 and in March of that year was entered in the 12 Hours of Sebring in Florida. It was driven by Peter Collins and Maurice Trintignant in the endurance race and finished sixth. In May, Ferrari brought the car back to Italy and entered it in the 1,600 km Mille Miglia with Wolfgang von Trips at the wheel. It was one of four cars Ferrari entered in the race and it finished second behind Piero Taruffi and his Ferrari 315 S.
Following the 1957 Mille Miglia, which turned out to be the last-ever edition of the road race after 12 people were killed, the car was returned to the Maranello factory and upgraded to ‘335 S’ spec. This entailed boring out the 3.8-liter V12 to 4.1-liters, which boosted output from 360 horsepower to 400 and raised the top-speed to 186 mph (300 km/h).
Following the modifications the car was entered in the 1957 24 Hours of Le Mans where it was raced by F1 champion Mike Hawthorn and Luigi Musso. It was unfortunately retired in the fifth hour due mechanical problems, but not before it took the lead ahead of the Maserati and Jaguars and set the first lap record at Le Sarthe with an average speed of over 200 km/h (203.015 km/h).
Following its Le Mans showing the car finished fourth in the Swedish Grand Prix, second in the Venezuela Grand Prix and helped Ferrari win the World Constructors’ Title. In 1958 it was piloted to victory in the Cuba Grand Prix by Masten Gregory and Stirling Moss and was also raced in various American races by Gaston Andrey and Lance Reventlow.
The car has sat in Bardinon’s collection since 1970, but if all goes to plan, it will find a new owner once Retromobile auctions the it off in February.